Subject: [Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 8 07:56:59 2008

Howard Ritter <hlritter@bex.net> wrote:

> But the assumption is that a manufacturer would not build a lens
> with a larger image circle than would be required to acceptably
> illuminate a circle of approximately 43.5 mm--the diagonal of the 24 x
> 36 mm frame. A lens with a larger image circle would be larger,
> heavier, and more expensive, to no purpose.

Logically you are correct, however there may have been other purposes in
mind when the lenses were designed that never saw the light of day.  Among
older Telyts, the 400mm f/5 and 280mm f/4.8 will cover 6x6.  I've also seen
a 400mm f/6.8 adapted to 645 (I think) but I don't know how the performance
is at the edges.  More often I'll see the 280mm f/4.8 adapted to 645, 6x6
or even 6x7.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft? Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008)