Subject: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan 4000 Users.... I need help!
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Mon May 5 18:53:21 2008

DNGs are like RAW. Fully able to be manipulated in ACR or Lightroom without
impacting the original scan. So you can always go back later to the DNG when
the new HDR/UberDOF/3D/MegawideGamut becomes available. Also, you can play
with the white balance, which is, in my experience, more difficult to do
with a .tif file. ACR lets you do other stuff in RAW that you can't do
elsewhere, but I've never known enough to use it...

It's definitely not smaller; my tif files are about 100mb smaller than my
dng files (6x6 scanned at 4000dpi).

Like I said, though, Lightroom seems to freak with 550mb .dng files; perhaps
Wade can give some insight...
Bob

Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA