Subject: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan 4000 Users.... I need help!
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun May 4 00:10:42 2008

Mark, a 'raw' scan in Vuescan is not a 'Raw 'file like a DNG or NEF or
whatever.
It is a scan which has not been modified as much (not a linear file, I don't
think) that you can reprocess as you wish within Vuescan options. The
benefit is that one scan can be a master while you try different options. I
was never that organized. My preferred method with a scan is to capture as
much information as possible (16 bit, not clipped, not sharpened etc) and
edit it with Photoshop. Others like to do as much as possible with the
scanner software.
But raws ain't raws.

Cheers
Geoff