Subject: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan 4000 Users.... I need help!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun May 4 23:39:48 2008

> Mark, a 'raw' scan in Vuescan is not a 'Raw 'file like a DNG or NEF or
> whatever.
> It is a scan which has not been modified as much (not a linear file, I
> don't
> think) that you can reprocess as you wish within Vuescan options. The
> benefit is that one scan can be a master while you try different options. I
> was never that organized. My preferred method with a scan is to capture as
> much information as possible (16 bit, not clipped, not sharpened etc) and
> edit it with Photoshop. Others like to do as much as possible with the
> scanner software.
> But raws ain't raws.
>
> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e

Geoff yes I know a raw scan and a raw capture are birds of two different
feathers.
I also like to  to capture as much information as possible  edit it with
Photoshop.  But more than just not clipping or not sharpening.
Which is why I did real well last time I scanned with raw scans.
I had more juice to work with.
Example
http://rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/Laterellefallspage.html

Last time I scanned this Hassy neg I did not get all the white stuff by far.
Verichrome pan in Beutlers.

But maybe your right its no big deal as I don't hear to many people talking
about it other than me.

Maybe I made the whole thing up!

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com