Subject: [Leica] OT: Old World Craftsmanship
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Apr 24 16:39:20 2008

Last year when we went through the Corvette assembly  plant we watched
a very similiar process for those cars which didn't pass the fit
testing. Most of the bodywork is tested as it is assembled and a wide
variety of gages (gauges?) are used to test. But some cars require
adjustment so they are pulled off the line and a specialized team
works to correct the problems. The people who do this are some of the
most experienced in the plant and can adjust most things. Still for
whatever reason some cars don't pass this final step in the required
time and are removed to an "offline" area for work. With an all
fiberglass body the adjustments are not as simple as using a hammer
but special "high energy" tools are used on hinge areas as I recall.

I have no complaints about the fit & finish of our 2007 Corvette and
recommend the factory tour to anyone who happens through Bowling
Green, KY. Even better is buying a new Corvette and having it
delivered at the Corvette Museum where some seriously adept folks
spiff it up. Plus you get a much longer and more personal tour than
the plain one for walk-ins. My wife LOVED the tour and would have gone
again from the beginning if they had let her. Because the line runs at
about 1/10th the speed of a normal assembly line you can see and
understand all the different processes that have to happen.

Adam