Subject: [Leica] OT: Old World Craftsmanship
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Apr 24 14:42:50 2008

> For those of you who decry today's lack of old world craftsmanship:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GlIuJlfR2Y&feature=related
>
> Sigh,
>
> John

The implication perhaps is that this is silly and that these people are
fooling around and don't know what they're doing with a junky heap of a car
trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  As it says "funny"  at the
end of the title.
In reality I think what we may be looking at is not that low a level of
craftsmanship.
These people actually do know what they're doing. And they know what it
takes to get the what I'd call "kinks" out of a car. No idea what its called
"in the business".
Without these people there would be such kinks. And the owner of the car
would feel like they'd not gotten their moneys work.

We bemoan the age of the wooden mallets and the M3 with Leica as the parts
are made with more precision now. Not brass but other stuff but computer cut
to much higher tolerances..
I don't think its the same case here was there is too much flexibility in
the hood of a car or door. Things need to be shimmied and stretched by hand
and with intuition and experience. And blocks of wood.
My guess is there would be such guys a the Rolls and Mercedes factory too
doing a similar dance but I don't know for sure.
Slightly ironic perhaps but I'd not call it "funny".
I'd call it fascinating. These people are professionals.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com