Subject: [Leica] Auto HDR -- is nobody paying attention?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Apr 24 19:37:58 2008

> At 12:32 PM -0400 4/24/08, wildlightphoto@earthlink.net wrote:
>> Kyle Cassidy <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>  Light comes through the lens, hits the sensor. As soon as values reach
>>>  254 the camera should save a file at that exposure which can then be
>>>  merged (if necessary) with the master file so that burned highlights can
>>>  be salvaged.
>>
>> Or with 16-bit pixels, 65534 instead of 254.
>

> The limiting factor is dynamic range, not number of bits. The Fuji S5
> addresses that to a limited degree, but not to HDR standards.
>
> With present sensors and photon acquisition methods it's hard to get
> real time greater dynamic range. One possibility might be to actually
> do two exposures during the nominal exposure time. Exposure time
> would then take on a new meaning, and this clearly wouldn't work when
> you need an extremely short exposure, but it should be doable when
> you only need 1/125sec.

I'd think people into HDR which I'm pretty sure with CS3 can be done hand
held would be firing off a burst in a bracket.
I was out doing stitches tonight but I keep forgetting about trying some
HDRs. Less of an issue I guess. During the day on the water more of one.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com