Subject: [Leica] Felling the Mighty Oak - 21st Century Style
From: gregj_lorenzo at hotmail.com (Greg Lorenzo)
Date: Thu Apr 24 14:03:47 2008

I helped my neighbor cut down about an 80 foot poplar tree a year and a half
ago. Using a chain saw we cut off as many branches as we could reach before
falling the tree in the opposite direction from his house.

It took a couple of hours to do it right and attracted a crowd of
on-lookers. I still have some of the firewood.

No permit was requested... on the basis that it is better to seek
forgiveness then approval.> Subject: RE: [Leica] Felling the Mighty Oak -
21st Century Style> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:14:58 -0400> From:
drodgers@casefarms.com> To: lug@leica-users.org> > Doug wrote:> > >>Removing
the overgrown cottonwood tree in my yard will cost about 100%> of> an M8
body :-(> (vaguely on-topic). Also not a DIY project.<<> > IME it's
expensive to have any work done in California. Cutting a tree> down in
Portland, OR, OTOH is expensive and also requires legal> petitions and maybe
even an act of congress. I knew for two years that> my neighbor's tree was
going to fall. People bristled when I mentioned> that it be cut down. Don't
get me wrong. I like trees. But this one> eventually fell....right on top of
my house. > > Cutting a tree down in NC is less of an issue, I found. Plenty
of people> will do it at reasonable rates. I had a 200 year-old oak tree in
my back> yard. It had been dead for a couple of years. Perhaps from a
lightening> strike, the scars of which were pretty obvious. It cost $100 to
have it> cut down. It would have been another $100 to chop it up and haul it
away> but I let it rest. > > The only caveat, according to the guy cutting
it down, was that it would> cost another $200 if he happened to hit a
cannonball with his chain saw.> I thought he was joking but he was serious.
He said it's not uncommon in> old oaks in the area to find where a
cannonball or two was left in the> crotch. Over time the tree grew and
engulfed them. > > Sadly, I didn't include anything in this photo for
reference so the tree> doesn't look that big. But it's big. The trunk is
over 5 ft in diameter.> No Sequoia, but still impressive. > >
http://www.purplehen.com/Fuji/oaktree.jpg> > DaveR> > > > >