Subject: [Leica] IMG: the episode in which Hoppy becomes a criminal
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Apr 24 06:15:24 2008

Steve, the bit coding correction is basically only significant for wides.
With coding but no filter the firmware corrects for some vignetting effect
known from that lens.
With filter but no coding the magenta effect from IR sensitivity is defeated
but you may see a cyan corner effect.
With filter and coding (plus setting in menu), the vignetting and the cyan
corner effect from the filters is corrected.
Each of those issues may or may not be significant for you dependant on
subject, photographic style and personal taste.

Presence of either of these effects does not cause catastrophic problems.
For some styles it may not concern you at all.
Two free filters for each M8 you buy. Tony Rose, for one has deals on extra
filters. I don't know US pricing. In Australia each lens costs AUD 341 total
for shipment to Germany, coding and return.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/