Subject: [Leica] WAS: F 5.6 and don't be there! NOW: PORTRAIT LIGHT!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Apr 23 15:04:32 2008

Jeff Moore asked:
>>Whereas, for portraiture...  I was in London and happened across a show of
portraits by Jane Bown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Bown

I'd never heard of her 'til then. Her photos make a compelling argument for
a 50mm lens at f/2.8 on a 24x36mm<<<<

So, Ted, is this an example of the "shooting from the shadow side" you've
been trying to teach us all these years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bown%2C_Welles.gif<<<<

Hi Jeff ,

Orsen Wells at his best light! :-)

Yep that's about as close it gets! :-) Rembrandt used it, I've used it and
an endless number of photographers have used it! Once they've learned how
effective it can be for almost any subject.

Like I've typed here a zillion times, just remember one little phrase!

"SHOOT FROM THE SHADOW SIDE!"

And you've got it made 90% of the time. So endeth the lesson for today! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] WAS: F 5.6 and don't be there! NOW: PORTRAIT LIGHT!)