Subject: [Leica] Selling gear
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Apr 7 21:36:45 2008

I do not agree with Mark's point. I understand that he objects to
people just flipping gear every 3 months, and there are certainly
lots of such people around, especially on the Fred Miranda Buy & Sell
forum (great place to pick up especially Canon and Nikon gear). I
don't do that. But if I realize that I have a piece of equipment that
I am not using, then I am quite ruthless--out it goes. You could of
course say, "don't buy what you don't think you will use" and I
don't, but it is not always so simple. Sometimes I realize after
using a lens for a while that this particular focal length after all
does not fit my photography, or a new and better one is launched (my
recent switch from the Oly 14-54 to the 12-60 is an example).

When I decided to start using a DSLR in 2004, I knew that I would
probably never shoot 35mm film again. So what would have been the
point of keeping my Leicas? They were not rare, had been used, so no
collectors value. If I had not sold them, they would be sitting on my
shelf now, for more than 3 years, unused--what would be the point of
that?

So there is a middle somewhere between spending every night on ebay
and hanging on to every piece of kit. At least for me, my way works.

Nathan

On 7-apr-2008, at 4:27, Vick Ko wrote:

> Yes, point noted Mark
>
> I spent part of today out shooting, and felt much better.
>
> I am glad you slapped some sense into me.  Of course the SL2 shoots
> as well as it ever did (better than I can !).
>
> regards
> Vick
>

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>> You're totally into the buying and selling end of it Vick this is
>> the Leica
>> Users Group!! The idea would be that our stuff is not commodities
>> but tools.
>> Does your Leicaflex SL2 take less good pictures than before?
>>
>> The best time to sell a film camera would be never!
>> No ones going to give you a dime for them. So I'd just forget it.
>> Put it in your garage and forget about it!
>>
>> What are my Leicas worth on the open market?
>> What is my Rolleiflex worth on the open market?
>>
>> I sure I could care. I'm getting my scanner going.
>>
>> Mark William Rabiner
>> markrabiner.com

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@nathanfoto.com