Subject: [Leica] Selling gear
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 8 15:18:25 2008

> I do not agree with Mark's point. I understand that he objects to
> people just flipping gear every 3 months, and there are certainly
> lots of such people around, especially on the Fred Miranda Buy & Sell
> forum (great place to pick up especially Canon and Nikon gear). I
> don't do that. But if I realize that I have a piece of equipment that
> I am not using, then I am quite ruthless--out it goes.
Snip

Focusing on the short haul like that certainly justifies the very high eBay
activity which grabs so much of the time on I think the average person on
this list or any similar list.

I think if we have aspirations toward the doing of meaningful photography
its best to do what most people successful in that endeavour did before.
Think on the longer haul.

In his whole like Weston used 3 or 4 cameras.

When I get a chunk of gear it could sit a year before I really ever use it.
I could use it but then it sits two years and then becomes an interlaced
part of my walking out the door kit.

Right now I'm gotten  a 28 1.4 Nikkor which sat for a year in the back of a
drawer. On a body which sat for 6 months.
The batteries one of which was lit up on the charger really wasn't charged.
I thought it had gone bad but its just what happens when you leave a battery
in the charger for 6 months. They don't keep charging it. And it sits and
discharges I've learned.
I had to re teach myself the camera and carry the manual with me wherever I
go. Having decided its ok to carry around a heavier more solid "kit".

That does not mean I SELL my D40x because it might sit for a few months.
That's just crazy. Its by backup camera now.
Soon it might be playing first string again.
It sits on the bench and waist. Its batteries NOT charging  in the charger I
guess I know now.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Selling gear)