Subject: [Leica] Another ZM lens on the horizon
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Mar 25 02:25:57 2008

Mark, I understand the point that you are making however the lenses made by
Kyocera under the Contax brand were certainly not junk. I have owned and
used a number, from the fixed 35 in the T3 and 28-56 zoom in the TVS111,
through the G series lenses and then some of the N series. I would say, up
until the later and cheaper AF lenses that were part of the N range, they
performed extremely well and I could never fault their fit and finish
either. I have no personal experience with the Contax/Yashica mount earlier
lenses.
Similarly to the Kyocera Contax lenses, the Made in Japan Zeiss ZM lenses
are really well made and designed and perform splendidly. The couple of
specialized lenses in that ZM range that are made in Germany are
considerably more expensive. At least equal to Leica pricing, in fact.
My subjective opinion on the ZM 4.5 C Biogon 21 is that it can hold its head
up in the company of the spherical Leica designs, regarding accuracy,
resolution, contrast and saturation. Only in adverse against the light
scenes do I see performance (wrt flare) below that of my Summicron 28 asph
for example.
It doesn't hurt the ZM range that many lenses are of modest maximum
apertures. Vastly easier to correct. Like the Summarits too, a range of
compact and more modestly priced options for an M outfit.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/