Subject: [Leica] Another ZM lens on the horizon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Mar 24 15:25:59 2008

If Cosina is making
> their own lenses with Zeiss advice, then I'm surprised that Cosina is
> okay with that. Zeiss is obviously getting a chunk of the profits for
> its "advice". I don't care what the "brand" is, to be honest. Most of
> my colleagues who aren't shooters have heard of Canon, Nikon, and
> Minolta. I walked into a reception at the college with a Contax, and
> nobody had ever heard of that.

Yes I see you are talking about stuff Cosina is doing.

But all I saw was
"Looks like a new 35/2.8 Biogon..." and then one more sentence.

And if you could get a 35/2.8 Biogon for one fifth the price of a Leica lens
then there is nothing to think about. No "option".
Forget Leica!

Leica however does not have a company else ware make its glass at a fraction
of its normal coast with it not looking anything like a real quality Leica
lens and with parts interchangeable between lenses.

If they did people might start calling them "Leica lenses".

Zeiss had previously had Kyocera turn out junk for it with it's name on it
and it didn't care what happened if people were going to buy it.

Leica does it with Panasonic point and shoots. Along with Schneider and
Zeiss.
But with that new law a yuppie cant buy a point and shoot without a German
name on the front rim I think they're off the hook.
Nobody really thinks they're shooting "Leica glass" when they're shooting a
hundred dollar Panasonic with LEICA on the front rim.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Another ZM lens on the horizon)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Another ZM lens on the horizon)