Subject: [Leica] the problem with HDR is ....
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Mar 22 21:10:14 2008

HDR is not a "look" its a technique to get a much wider tonal range.
If done with the proper degree of subtlety it should really not stand out as
its own "look".

More like a "gee they really kept the highlight detail in that shot didn't
they?" kind of thing which is less of a big deal. Not a warm bang effect.
Dropped bed or tilt selective focus....
I think its very here today here tomorrow win win.
I'd not put it in the same bag with light painting with fiber optics hoses;
pan stitching, even if its the next menu item down in the tools section
under Photoshop in BRIDGE.
Not like IR black and white or the use of plastic cameras or Brownies.
Or putting your prints in a copier and then copying those and then hand
coloring the result. Then tap dancing on that.

I think its a useful new tool - I'm looking forward to using.
Last week I had some experiences in shooting where I wish I'd had the
gumption, time and or tripod to try the HDR thing for the first time. There
was a huge gamut I'd have liked to have kept from dark to light.
Next week I will.

I'm also loving stitching though in the past year with CS3. Both in pans
landscape and in "stacking" verticals in architectural.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] the problem with HDR is ....)