Subject: [Leica] Shoot with what you brung
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Mar 21 15:21:59 2008

George that is an earnest and thoughtful reply to a lighter hearted
throwaway line. In your vein, I ought to have said, it is easier to degrade
an image made by a good quality system than to go the other way. However I
take your point that those simple systems may have a unique fingerprint.
Similarly it might not be sensible to try to emulate that fingerprint. I
don't wish to do that, but I know where I would start in Photoshop. Actually
you have piqued my interest now, and I need the practice. I might Google up
some Holga originals and have a play from something more Leica like. I don't
subscribe to the viewpoint that a lens can be too sharp for a particular
subject though.
But you have repeated the argument in essence that competence with your
camera and photographic skill are the most important factors in making a
worthy image. That being accepted, better equipment with the same skill set
and circumstance will make better photographs. Else you might be satisfied
shooting only with a camera-phone or similar.
What are those appealing qualities for you in the LOMO or Holga images;
lower contrast and saturation, soft focus effect? I genuinely feel, that
Holga folks are really saying 'look at the picture I made despite having the
most basic camera' I'd rather say 'look at the picture I made as I try to
live up to the quality of my camera' Both valid certainly.
We can meet on the common ground of 'Jeez, look at that'...click

Cheers
Geoff