Subject: [Leica] Not Buying M8
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed Mar 12 08:29:06 2008

yes, this also is a part of my issues.  the ad and glam world was always
meant to purge reality from their images because reality doesn't sell
product.  Slowly the images have become so unreal is it disturbing
especially when considering my children who are consuming these images
daily.  Again digital is a playground for image handwork but many people
don't understand how it does violence to their images when in fact they
don't really want to do violence to them.  From an extension of vision
framework photoshop is easy, a bit of dodge, little contrast etc but it
doesn't add anything to the understanding of photography or to the seeing
of photographs.

At 06:51 AM 3/12/2008, you wrote:
>On 11/03/2008, Chris Saganich <chs2018@med.cornell.edu> wrote:
> > The photographer has become a technician and the computer
> > operator has become the artist.
>
>As a passive consumer of images in magazines etc I do lament the
>demise of photographs and the rise of computer imaginary. Many of
>today's "photographs" have an eerie surreal quality. The boundary
>between photograph and cartoon has become blurred. Perhaps more
>disturbing is to see my local amateur photo clubs turning into
>Photoshop workshops. Yes I use Photoshop, but my manipulation of
>images is limited, partly from a lack of skill but mainly by a lack of
>interest. It's more of a dry darkroom than an artist's palette.
>Perhaps I am showing my age here and playing Don Quixote.
>
>Having said all of that, I see no reason why a digital camera can't be
>used much the same way as a film camera.
>
>Chris B

Chris Saganich, MS, Sr. Physicist
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018@med.cornell.edu