Subject: [Leica] Not Buying M8
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Mar 11 07:14:13 2008

The M8 has a more limited audience than Leicas of the past. That must be
a challenge for Leica.

The M8 makes a lot of sense for someone who will photograph a lot before
the warranty expires or before a better alternative comes along. But
it's not like a film M that you could justify buying even if you were a
weekend photographer. You knew the film M would require little
maintenance and probably hold its value over time. A lot of people
bought film Ms and hardly used them. And film M's still have value
today.

Even my 50-year-old plus film M is still a working camera. With a Noct
attached and my favorite BW film inside, it is still without peer. I
can't duplicate the image quality with software (although maybe someone
out there can).

Gone, too, it seems is the limited edition market for Leica. I wonder if
we'll ever see a limited edition digital M. That would be good news
because it would mean digital was reaching maturity. I used to scoff at
things like Ostrich skin and Titanium shell on the M6, but deep down I
secretly wanted to own one.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Not Buying M8)