Subject: [Leica] Not Buying M8
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Mar 12 14:48:32 2008

George,

>>While processing film, with intensive study of the relationship of
exposure to development as they relate to tonal control; and the fine
art of printing with silver paper and chemicals are wonderful crafts;
they have little to do with what a Photographer chooses to
photograph, how they see or use light, compose the frame, etc.<<

I disagree. Photographing with film, particularly with the intent of
making a chemical print, has everything to do with how I see light,
compose, frame, etc. Sometimes I even think that shooting BW film is a
different mentally from digital photography as still photography is from
motion picture photography.

I'm not sure about others, but when I shoot digital I rarely think in
terms of BW. It may end up that an image works out better in BW. But
it's usually serendipitous rather than planned. OTOH when I'm shooting
BW film everything is aimed at making a BW print. Since color is not
even an option I ignore it beyond how it will come across on BW film,
given the spectral sensitivity or use of filters. OTOH, I'm way more
cognizant of shapes, forms, textures, etc. Lighting and composition are
very closely linked to those things. While they can be important in
color, they usually take a back seat to color hue and saturation. Yet
they everything when it comes to BW film.

One example regarding light; I commonly use flash with color (digital)
and don't have any issues with it. But it is extremely rare that I ever
used flash when shooting BW film. I think we overestimate the similarity
of BW film and digital (color) photography.

I have a great appreciation for film, and I'm a little bummed that I'm
slowly losing what little knowledge about it I gained over the years.
It's one of those things that if you don't use it you lose it.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Not Buying M8)