Subject: [Leica] OT: different Apple desktops
From: leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson)
Date: Wed Mar 12 06:30:58 2008

Nathan,

Like Spencer says, you loose expandability.   The Imacs are  really compact
and have a very pleasing footprint.  Love the new keyboard. I'm not too sure
about the screen.  It's glossy and I think it gives you false blacks, sort
of like a drugstore glossy print, if you know what I mean.  I think you
could get used to it although you would probably want to do some type of
calibration with it.  You might want to check that ram figure.  On the apple
website here, it shows the ram being expandable to 4 gig, not 16.  I think
that would be 2 - 2gig chips, which are pretty pricey.

Myself, since I have started to do video for clients, when I upgrade, I will
upgrade to the tower  for the ram slots and the drive slots and the pci
slots.  But my g5 keeps chugging along.  Since you like to buy used, did you
consider a g5?  I have had 0 problems with mine over the past 3 years.
Also, don't forget that you son, being a student, can get a discount at the
apple education store.

Leo Wesson
Photographer/Videographer
817.733.9157