Subject: [Leica] M8 Shutter Fault, Help!
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Mar 6 22:30:59 2008

Hi David I am a new M8 user and a member of that forum as well. To be
objective we don't know the frequency of this shutter fault appearing, as
against how many M8 cameras are in use either. Additionally Leica has
reported a number of M8s being returned for service after the shutter was
damaged by owners incorrectly using the 'B" setting when cleaning their
sensor. Of course, I'm not suggesting that is the case with Tina's camera,
only that the cause of each other reported incident is unproven as is the
failure rate.
I disagree with that speculation by some that you mention. That is a very
cynical view in my opinion. Even if such was the case, it would do nothing
to alter the incidence of possible shutter problems unless a significant
percentage of cameras in use were upgraded. Hard to imagine that Leica, if
it had identified a problem would not be doing its best to rectify it. They
have not been very adept at public communication but I certainly believe
that they genuinely try to resolve problems that arise, especially as
happened with early production.  Witness the distribution of free UV/IR
filters and  lens discount vouchers scheme. I applaud Leica for making the
shutter option available for those that want it. There was a considerable
amount of grumbling initially regarding the shutter operation and re-cocking
noise. I think that the revised options implementation is better too,
regarding the payment etc.

Worth noting that Tina who has made thousands of exposures with her M8 and
now has had to return it to have the faulty shutter repaired, is still a
committed supporter and user of the M8.

Cheers
Geoff