Subject: [Leica] M8 Shutter Fault, Help!
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Mar 7 04:12:00 2008

At 11:06 PM 3/6/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Tina,
>
>I know I'm a bit late to this, but this problem sounds like a similar
>problem some have reported over at the Leica Users Forum. Is there a visible
>tear in ur shutter? One of the  user reported Leica refused to honour his
>warranty claiming he stuck something into the shutter blades or somehow used
>an incompatible 3rd party lens.

No, no tear.  I should have taken a picture of it, but I didn't.  It
just looked like the top blade of the shutter had "jumped the track"
and gotten stuck behind the second blade, if that makes sense.  It
looked like you could probably flip it back over and onto the track
again, but I didn't have any of my micro screwdrivers with me to work
with and I did have my M7 so I just decided to pack up the M8 and use
film for the four days remaining on the trip.  Since my 4 external
hard drives were almost full anyway, it was a pretty easy decision ;-)

>I don't suppose you took a pic of the mangled shutter? This could help see
>if this fault is somehow waiting to be exposed on well used M8s, as I assume
>yours would be :)

Yes, very, very well used!

>The reported incidences of this have led some to speculate that for Leica's
>first upgrade program - replacing the shutter with a supposedly quieter one
>is no more than an attempt to replace existing M8 shutters at no cost to
>themselves (think warranty) and at the same time, even make a few bucks!

I wouldn't mind paying extra for a really quiet shutter and the
samples on the Leica site sound quieter than my current M8.  I really
like the idea of a perpetually upgradeable M8.  My expensive Canons
are obsolete as soon as a new model comes out :'(
Leica has had my M8 for 4 days now and I haven't heard anything from
them.  They are supposed to send me a loaner if it takes longer than a week.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
http://www.tinamanley.com