Subject: [Leica] IMG: Some scenery for those Northern Hemisphere folks
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Mar 1 13:05:37 2008

Thanks for looking Luis. I'm glad you liked it, Now about the horizon line.
Believe me I am very sensitive to that horizontal. The
picture as shown is straight. I would never dare to post a shot here that
had not been measured and made straight! My friend, maybe
your head is slightly tilted from photographing se?oritas.
The original slide was three tenths of a degree off straight. That's pretty
good for me by eye with an external viewfinder with no
frame-lines in it! The ones with the 21mm were even more of a challenge.
When ever I forgot to check carefully I ended up with some
pretty dramatic tilts.
The scan has been rotated to perfectly level by measurement in Photoshop.
The only part of the sea line that is an actual straight line is the far
left part (the actual horizon) beyond the end of the
headland. The rest of the water on the left is a very, very shallow curve in
front of the land. This is the curve of the bay. The
water to the right of the narrow neck of land is at a different level due to
tidal movement. Close to shore it is very shallow there
for a long way out. It is amazing to see two parts of the ocean so close
together at different levels. They are not connected except
maybe 50 km south of that point past the end of the island. I might post
some of the shots from that spot taken with the 21mm. It
looks amazing to see the top of the stairs in the shot and fairly sharp as
well!

Cheers
Geoff