Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin telling it like it may be
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Feb 27 22:41:56 2008

> Making any more film cameras would not make sense that's for sure. How
> about
> along with those less $$$ Summarit's having a less $$$
> digital RF? It has to be possible.
>
> Chris

Erwin belittles the idea of Hoopla about full frame M8 or M9 or upgradeable
M8. In his 6th to last paragraph.
http://www.imx.nl/photo/viewpoint/the_question_no_one_dares_t.html

I believe that just like in the days of film there will be people who will
shoot Leica M for the quality of image one gets from it.
Which is mainly the glass
though rangefinder shooting also helps.

And I believe that especially in the latter age (the 90s) when we had ASPH
APO glass to work with the cutting edge difference we get is demonstratable
and a reason for many to use the system. I can speak for at least myself on
that my 16x20 and 20x24 prints overshadowed my previous work with Nikon.
Though some like the quality of the older glass and feel that's the reason.
And some like a rangefinder camera for those mechanical advantages.

But a camera with a 1.3 crop factor is not going to show such a
demonstratable difference in quality against a digital 24x36mm format camera
if there is one at all which also by the way costs a few grand less and at
this point is made by Canon. And is the camera I bet Erwin mainly uses.

But With a 24x36mm sensor and modern glass all the "class" pays off as a
demonstratable better image can be showed to be obtained over Nikon and
Canon DSLRs.
Because of Leica glass.
And I think they will make sure the electronics are in order to show off
that glass to best advantage they are on the right track on that.
I have confidence in Dr. Andreas Kaufmann on that.
And his hand of optical companies.

Plenty of Pros will by them. Got get that edge in quality.
And very serious amateurs.
And very smart tasteful and kind hearted otherwise people.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com