Subject: [Leica] Square format
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Feb 27 22:03:44 2008

> I don't know, or have forgotten, the origins of our current "standard"
> formats for photos. It seems that 6X6 cm is the only "common" square
> standard.
>
> Did this perhaps come from the difficulty of rotating cameras to go
> from horizontal to vertical?
>
> While it might waste silver, the square could easily let you punch out
> the 2:3 ratio (4X6 or 6X4) as a vertical or horizontal without having
> to try to tip your TLR over on its side. The old folders were much
> more convenient vertical than horizontal, also.
>
> After all, a square composition will end up wasting silver on the
> print. I don;t remember ever seeing square format printing paper. It
> certainly was not common.
>
> Ric Carter
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/

My first two cameras shot squares.

The first one 1958  when I was 10-12 yrs old: (1960-2) Brownie Starlet
http://www.geh.org/fm/brownie/htmlsrc/mE13000055_ful.html#topofimage
     http://www.vieilalbum.com/BrownieStarletFR.htm
Manufactured : 1957-62 Lens : Dakon Shutter : Rotary Quantity Made :
Original List Price : $6 Film Size : 127 Negative Size : 4x4 cm
Made in France!!!!!!!!

Then in Chicago a holiday season came along and:
1963 13-14 yrs old: Instamatic 100  126 Cartridge  28x28mm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kodak_Instamatic_100.jpg

When I was 13 I got my first camera with adjustments a Voigtl?nder Vito BL
which shot 35mm film 24x36mm.
Down to long time Leica freaks as "doubleframe". Doppel-Frame?
I don't know I think maybe there was then something missing in my work.

A square overfills an image circle in the most efficient manner.
Helping to make for a camera no bigger than it needs to be.

I think inside every square is an imaginary circle and all in all it
contributes to a natural center every square has which makes it hard to
screw up a composition.

That's what those little Hasselblad brochures have brainwashed me to think
over all these years at least!

A square turned on it's side is a diamond!

So while shooting from the bleachers try holding your camera on a 45 degree
angle. You'll get all three bases.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Square format)