Subject: [Leica] Perspective on Extended Warranties.......
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Feb 25 12:27:32 2008

The main purpose of extended warranties is to pad the dealer's or
manufacturer's profit.

I have worked in the insurance business. An actuarially fair premium
is the probability of loss times the amount of that loss. A couple of
weeks ago we were buying a mobile phone for my wife. The thing cost
about 300 Euro, and the saleswoman in the phone shop spent 10 minutes
trying to convince me that paying 132 Euro a year for Passport-like
cover would be a good idea. Needless to say, she got nowhere with me.

Nathan

On 22-feb-2008, at 21:19, Lottermoser George wrote:

> precisely - as several of us alluded to when this subject first
> came up.
>
> If you want to keep things, which you appreciate, performing well
> over time, folks sell insurance and warranties. They do it for cars
> and many other high ticket items.
>
> Fond regards,
> George
> george@imagist.com
> www.imagist.com
> http://www.imagist.com/blog
> Picture A Week - www.imagist.com/paw_07
>

> On Feb 22, 2008, at 1:04 PM, Frank Filippone wrote:
>
>> So maybe Leica is in touch with its practical side by offering
>> that M8
>> upgrade + 2 year warranty for $2k......or at least competitive.

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@nathanfoto.com
General photography:
http://www.nathanfoto.com