Subject: [Leica] Independent film labs and photo stores
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Jan 25 11:35:30 2008

Hi Mike,

I am going to answer based on the Netherlands, since I have only been
in Spain since October.

Nathan

On 25-jan-2008, at 14:42, Mike Stoesz wrote:

> Howdy from Wyoming;
>
> I would like to do an online survey of the members of this list
> about the availability of local independent (non-chain store) photo
> processing labs and camera stores.  I own such a store/lab in
> Laramie, Wyoming, USA so the trends of the industry are very
> important to my future and the direction I take in providing
> services to my clients.
>
> 1.  How many local independent stores/labs were in your vicinity 5
> years ago? Vicinity meaning comfortable driving distance that you
> could use them on a regular basis.

Stores--several, at least 3 in Amsterdam that I was aware of.  All
are still there, as are several others in places like The Hague,
Rotterdam and Eindhoven. Labs--only one pro lab I was aware of, s-
Color in Amstedam.

> 2.  How many local independent stores/labs are there today?

All the stores are still there, but the s-Color lab stopped
processing film last year. Today they concentrate on high-end digital
printing and the like.

> 3.  What services were offered by the stores of 5 years ago?  And
> what services did you use?

See (2) above.

> 4.  What services are offered today by the stores in your
> vicinity?  And what services do you currently use?

Digital printing seems to be the order of the day.

> 5.  What services were missing 5 years ago that you could have used
> or needed then and now?

Not sure I understand the question. 5 years ago all I needed was film
development and the occasional pro print. I can still get the print,
but I have no idea where in the Netherlands I could have MF film
developed (here in Spain I have a lab that does it for me, by mail--
they are in Barcelona, 550 km away).

> 6.  What services or products do you see a need for today?

Quality printing, and perhaps MF scanning.

> 7.  What services or products would you like to see offered in 2-4
> years?

Storage solutions.