Subject: [Leica] 4048 messages and how to catch up
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Jan 26 23:16:54 2008

I don't agree completely.

I have never built up a backlog of 4048 unread messages, but have
been over 1000 when coming home from a trip where internet was not
available on a daily basis (I tend to avoid such trips, but at times
it happens). If I just deleted everything, I might miss some really
good stuff--after all, that is why I am on the LUG! So I have a
modified procedure:

1) Look at the subject lines--if it sounds uninteresting, for example
"which Visoflex lens is best", then just delete the whole thread
2) Look at very long threads, maybe just read the first message--if a
thread is longer than, say, 20 messages, then it probably means that
it has degenerated into a food fight and is not worth reading
3) Read all messages from Brian, no matter what--he is the deity
behind the list.
4) The above 3 steps will likely have reduced the size of the inbox
by 75%. For the remaining 25%:
5) Pour a generous single malt and go through them in my normal
fashion (repeat the single malt as needed).

Cheers,
Nathan