Subject: Silver gelatin print was RE: [Leica] Re:The new T-Max 400
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Fri Jan 11 04:25:08 2008

My dearest wife, whom I adore, gave me a shock today. We went to
Keeble and Schucat to pick up some paper and there were some sample
of one of those new "holy grail" Barytas inkjet paper. Sure enough,
this one looks very much like a silver gelatin print to my eyes.
Before I could voice my admiration though, she  piped up and said
that the paper remind her of cheap prints from the 70s. I'm not quite
what she's talking about but she's very adamant about the paper
looking cheap, with that gloss but not quite gloss look. Arggghggh

At 05:47 PM 1/10/2008, pmcc wrote:
>... The gallery references to
>silver gelatin prints in the captions was very
>conspicuous -- a companion asked me what silver
>gelatin printing was. It was like explaining what
>vinyl LP records or letterpress printing was.
>Something poignant about explaining a mass medium or
>technology that had peaked and quickly declined within
>one's own memory. I guess I'm a traditionalist, having
>taught my daughter how to develop film and make prints
>in a wet darkroom during the digital age, and then
>watching her learn how to set cold type and operate a
>19th century letterpress.

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (pmcc) (Silver gelatin print was RE: [Leica] Re:The new T-Max 400)
Message from pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (pmcc) ([Leica] Re:The new T-Max 400)