Subject: [Leica] Re:The new T-Max 400
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Jan 10 11:54:52 2008

Chris wrote:

>>Should be a good film, but they are using John Sexton to promote who
usually shoots large format so of course it will be sharp!<<

John Sexton. There's a name that I haven't seen in a while. I met him
briefly years ago when I lived in Carmel and there was a photo
exhibition at the Dolores gallery near where I worked.

I was in San Francisco last week and went to see the David Seymour
(Chim) exhibition at the de Young Museum. One thing that struck me was
how much photography has changed. Evolved might be a better word, but
I'm not sure it's evolved for the better. There were several photos of
Chim, Capa and other Magnum founders. They looked bigger than life!

Another impression I took away was the connection I felt when viewing
some of the silver gelatin prints. I knew that a silver print had to
have been in close proximity to the negative, and the negative in close
proximity to the photographer and the subject. I felt more intimacy with
those prints than with the digital re-creations. Sounds odd, maybe. It
even took me by surprise. Part of me says I should ignore the medium
completely and just take the content of the images. OTOH, there's
probably a reason why a reputable museum would list the medium in its
brief caption of info. Maybe the medium is important.

It was fun to see travel documents that listed items Chim carried with
him in 1947. No surprise. Leicas and Rolleiflexes!

DaveR

Replies: Reply from pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (pmcc) ([Leica] Re:The new T-Max 400)