Subject: [Leica] Re: December 2007 LUG Photo Contest results
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Sun Jan 6 15:21:59 2008

Y'all -

Most interesting that this snap should provide a focus for discussion
of so many issues (most of them admittedly my own.)  I'll "front
load" this post so if you don't feel like schlogging through it all
you can get the general idea quickly.

Thanks to Geoff, George, Luis, B.D., Philippe, Michiel, Ric, and Bill
for providing positive perspective on this shot:

http://contest.leica-users.org/main.php/v/0712/McfR-1_5.jpg.html?
g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Basically, I feel that one of the only things that's sillier than
judging a bunch of photos and picking a few winners is judging the
results of the judging.  I doubt if anyone on the list (even an
individual judge) agrees with the results of the overall Cabal of
Judges in all of the contests so far.  I've certainly had that "how
can this thing have been picked as First Place when this other one
didn't even get mentioned" feeling at least once in previous months...

I really don't believe in photography contests.  I've picked up a
couple of really funny examples of prints in junk (oh yeah... excuse
me, "antique") shops that were submitted for photo club contests in
the 50's & 60's; the kindof things people do when they're sucking up
to judges really makes me laugh.  (One of my fantasies is that I'll
snag a grant one of these days that will allow me to tool around the
US (in the 2-seat retro sports car of my choice) and collect a bunch
of these things for a nice exhibition someday.)  How I let myself
slip in to entering some snaps into a few LUG contests is something I
need to examine (the deadline corresponded with monthly editing, the
theme-based constraint helped clarify classification and keywording,
etc.)  Another reason for this aversion to contests is that a lot of
folks who don't "win" start to feel that their stuff needs to look
more like the winning stuff and begin to second-guess their own
judgement in a way that is actually more destructive than
constructive in the long run.

What really works well, though, is when a lot of people start talking
about one picture.  So, for the record, here's my 20 cents on this
Rex & Marianna shot.

Before Brian and Steve posted their first comments I was gonna use
this shot to illustrate my first experiences with New Tmax400  in
Xtol.  Very good sharpness (as advertised,) really long scale,
endless highlight latitude (with a creamy, almost medium-format feel
to them).  Don't exactly know how the grain structure will look in a
really big enlargement but there's a lot to like about this combo.
However, I'm not sure yet about the spectral sensitivity.  Whereas my
fallback combo of Neopan 400 in Xtol usually looks like I actually
knew enough to filter the shot properly (when I used no filter at
all), the jury ain't in on this New Tmax stuff.

So, the muddling of greys, especially between Rex's skin and the
wall, might have been unavoidable or might have been better with some
other materials;  I dunno.  I think it could use more separation, but
it's sorta OK enough the way it is.  Sharpness-wise, do click on the
900 pixel option to eliminate the resizing softness of the small
version; the overall acuity is actually quite good.

And this brings up another point, which is the little screen displays
we're looking at on our monitors.  Some might think this serves as a
"great leveler" - actually it helps some shots (like an over-cropped
birdsnap) but hurts others (like when there's a sign in the photo
that's critical to its impact that can't be read in a small rendering.)

Regarding the clutter, that's certainly central to the content (as
some folks already pointed out).  (Actually, I have a small
collection of snaps of pure clutter that I really like.)  Both the
"distortion" (most visible in the trapezoidal photo frame on the
wall) and the inclusion of everything-possibly-including-the-kitchen-
sink are a result of experiments with leaving a wideangle on the M
that I try to wear most of the time.  As far as bending the knees to
get a more straight-on perspective goes, there really wasn't time for
that; I needed to shoot what I saw at the moment, and going into a
crouch would've been distracting to the subjects (or at least one of
them) as well as overemphasizing Rex's feet (My wife Ruthie was quick
to point out, when we were looking at some shots of HCB in action,
that his legs were always working hard to get the height right.)
Bottom line, though; I'm goin' back to a 50.

Now for some individual addresses:

Steve -

Your decision to post the caption you and your wife were imagining
for this shot - "hey Rex ...are you dead yet?" is staggeringly
insensitive.  It's also, however, staggeringly close to the reason
for this photo.

One of the things we see in this is a certain "caregiver fatigue" -
in fact a somewhat darker take on "caring" than one might normally
shoot for in photos for this theme.

And in fact, when Brian announced this theme I thought to myself
"Well... why should any of us bother entering when it's clear that
Steve's gonna have this one locked up.  In fact, we oughtta just give
him an honorary win based on his previously posted body of
work."  (Although then we'd hafta give one to Tina, too...) So I can
see why you might be bugged to not have your name among the named.

Brian -

I seem to recall that you asked for an "expansive" interpretation of
the theme.  So, in the spirit of bluff-calling I decided to really
try to find some alternate takes on this "caring" business.  Here's
one which took last place in the contest (a spot which I'm proud to
share with some of my favorite photographers and people on the LUG) -
it's about a guy who really cares about his book, and apparently
thinks that we should, too:

http://contest.leica-users.org/main.php/v/0712/Saving+for
+Something.jpg.html

And another (4th from last) about a couple of guys who care so much
about who's got the "right of way" that they think it's worth a
streetfight (again, having the 50 would've been nice):

http://contest.leica-users.org/main.php/v/0712/Streetfight+crop
+curve.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

(Really sincere apologies for referring to my own damn pix but if I
get started on all the cool stuff in the contest (like the opposing
hands in George's picture) we'll never get outta here...)

But in the end Walt's straightforward, resonant and beautiful
renderings of human compassion triumphed, and that's really good news
for all of us.

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Re: December 2007 LUG Photo Contest results)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: December 2007 LUG Photo Contest results)