Subject: [Leica] Re: December 2007 LUG Photo Contest results
From: von-ohlen at sbcglobal.net (Bill Larsen)
Date: Sat Jan 5 18:54:53 2008

bob palmieri wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008, a whole buncha people had a whole lot to say about
> this snap of mine, and its second place position in the December
> contest.

This is one of the most moving pictures I have seen on the LUG.  I
wasn't really able to open the picture to the full resolution until today.

In the past four years, I have experienced two hospice situations with
close relatives.  Hospice, for our non British or American  friends, is
where there is no hope in the medical diagnosis and we are really
looking at pain control and acceptance of what is coming.

In any event, in my experience the clutter gets greater and greater as
one tries to put familiar things around the "sick" person.  The room
seems to close in as more and more care is required.  I have no idea who
sleeps in the implied bed to the right.  I certainly recognize the
feeding table.  I recognize the medications.  I recognize the expression
on the face.  This photo is really almost too moving for me at the
present time.

And the low contrast is what we live with in these situations.

I like Ansel Adams... I don't particularly like his popular
photographs... but he did one, I think in Inyo County in about 1948, of
a dying man on a cot in the yard.  I synch with that one also.

Regards, Bill Larsen
Terra Bella, CA