Subject: [Leica] More on Blurb books
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan dimitrov)
Date: Tue Jan 1 18:48:15 2008

I think this is the best thing since sliced bread.
Anything to break the strangle hold the printing industry on who gets
published and who doesn't.
s.d.

On Dec 31, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Phil Swango wrote:

I was just reading this week that the large format art photographer
Stephen
Shore has been working with self-published books as editioned sets to be
sold in the art market.  He uses an ordinary consumer digicam (don't
know
which one) .  The books are print-on-demand (not necessarily Blurb)
made in
editions of 20, and each book is shot in one day to give a thematic
continuity to the set.  I'm assuming he's going for something really
high
quality since he comes from an 8x10 background and is a well-established
artist.  I think print-on-demand is going to really change the way a
lot of
people work.  I'm already working on a second book for the gallery I
worked
with for the "Shoe Two" book on Nathan's list.  We're just now trying to
come up with a concept to extend what we have done before.  "Shoe
Two" has
only sold <50 copies that I know of but it's giving us ideas.  One woman
bought 10 for Christmas gifts to friends.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE