Subject: [Leica] Absolutely OT - Indian Music Examples
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu Dec 13 07:56:51 2007

Bob,
What I mean is that because Indian classical is all modal, and your ear is
attuned to it, later Coltrane, Ornette or even someone like Albert Ayler
become quite enjoyable (and probably vice versa). Carnatic music is very,
very structured and technical in its rules for improvisation, which is still
95% of most renderings, while Hindustani is freer, and more melodic. That
said, they are siblings, and have the identical theoretical base - the way
they have evolved over the last few centuries is really a cultural thing.
Cheers
Jayanand