Subject: [Leica] Absolutely OT - Indian Music Examples
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Thu Dec 13 07:13:25 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 7:13 AM, Jayanand wrote:

> An unexpected advantage is that if your ears get used to this
> type of music, then John Coltrane or Ornette Coleman and their ilk
> will
> make perfect sense.

I feel that a slight tweak to this statement could be helpful to some
folks.  In my opinion, despite the fact that there is great rigor
underlying some parts of the harmonic, rhythmic, and/or formal
structure in some of the late 'Trane or Ornette, it can be good to
take the position that this music is more about spirit than "sense."
Sometimes I think listeners feel slighted because they can't make
"sense" of this kindof thing and get put off of further listening.

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Absolutely OT - Indian Music Examples)