Subject: [Leica] Some more 'cutting the edge'
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat Dec 8 16:08:41 2007

On Dec 8, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Lottermoser George wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:
>> I still question why to be new... you need new technique...
>
> I don't believe that "to be new" you need new technique.
> Something, however, has to qualify as "new."
> It could come from: technique, style, subject, etc. or any
> combination.
>
>> then I think you become a slave to a certain technique...
>
> One may "become a slave" to a technique; or simply an explorer of a
> technique which holds one's interest. I certainly do not consider
> Morell a slave to technique. I consider him a visual explorer
> remaining true to photography in its purest form.
>
>> it's a bit like saying to write the next great novel you must use a
>> certain new computer...
>
> Here you've switched from "new" to "great."

ahhh hahhhh...

I will continue being naive, not by choice...

yes... and for  me "new"

as applied at least to those things that we become aware of...  should
imply great, or maybe  important, or at least worthwhile...

the problem in this thread I think, is that cutting edge is used to
mean new...

(and apparantly that's enough)

so we are agreeing, the requirements do not include great, or
important, or even worthwhile...

in fact, by definition,  "new"  suggests that most of it is going to
be garbage...

Steve