Subject: [Leica] Cutting edge photography
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Nov 30 19:20:21 2007

George,
First, I really appreciate this thread.  The images you posted are frankly,
boring rehash of the past hundred years or so.  I see quite a few
portfolio's coming off SCAD students and it is more of the same.  I guess
what I am really saying is that we are in an inter period waiting for the
genius who will push us forward.  To my eye, Kyle's basement jump pictures
are far more bleeding edge than what was shown.  No disrespect, those folks
are making money and selling images and I am not in their demographic
anyway.

As a non genius, I can't point the way forward, except to suggest that it
will not be a female form in whatever raiment or contortion.  I think that
it will come out of the gay community.  My gut is that culture is finally
feeling confident enough to really come out of the closet and publicly push
the boundaries, not just in an annual gay pride parade.  My other suggestion
is that the death culture, whether it is the heroin chick, or the degraded
view of the model has just about run it's course.  Probably some orthogonal
right angle that none of us see now.

I have also been seeing some interesting images coming out of the hip hop
community.  Different culture with many of the correct societal filters
removed, a lot earthier and a lot more sexual tension hinted at in the best
images.

One example that I can't lead too was one of my associates that was at the
LA Art Institute.  Her fashion portfolio was ordinary items draped in a home
situation or hanging out to dry with the LA city scape in the background.

If I get permission I will post some links.  Sorry to not be more visual at
this point.