Subject: [Leica] Cutting edge photography
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Sat Dec 1 08:53:44 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:20 PM, Don Dory wrote:
> George,
> First, I really appreciate this thread.

And I really appreciate your thoughtful response.
You've provided some useful insights.

> The images you posted are frankly,
> boring rehash of the past hundred years or so.

I agree. Pushing the photographic art edge, for me, does not simply mean
putting the latest outrageous costume and makeup in front of the camera.

>  I see quite a few
> portfolio's coming off SCAD students and it is more of the same.  I
> guess
> what I am really saying is that we are in an inter period waiting
> for the
> genius who will push us forward.  To my eye, Kyle's basement jump
> pictures
> are far more bleeding edge than what was shown.  No disrespect,
> those folks
> are making money and selling images and I am not in their demographic
> anyway.

And yet, are they derivative of the Pillipe Halsman work of 50 years
ago?
Simply a different subject, within a different environment.
And in the case of the Dali Halsman book, the work was actually more
appropriate
in both content and context to the subject - a surrealist painter.

> As a non genius, I can't point the way forward, except to suggest
> that it
> will not be a female form in whatever raiment or contortion.  I
> think that
> it will come out of the gay community.  My gut is that culture is
> finally
> feeling confident enough to really come out of the closet and
> publicly push
> the boundaries, not just in an annual gay pride parade.

Quite thought provoking. You seem to suggest that the "new vision"
will come
out of "new social patterns" which, of course, makes a lot of sense;
and is probably
historically accurate as well. Along these lines; do you think
Mapplethorpe qualifies
as "cutting edge" for his period? It would seem so; even that he
paved the way for
one of the areas you're alluding to.

> My other suggestion
> is that the death culture, whether it is the heroin chick, or the
> degraded
> view of the model has just about run it's course.  Probably some
> orthogonal
> right angle that none of us see now.
> I have also been seeing some interesting images coming out of the
> hip hop
> community.  Different culture with many of the correct societal
> filters
> removed, a lot earthier and a lot more sexual tension hinted at in
> the best
> images.

Without a doubt. Some of the most interesting students I had, in
Chicago, came out
of the hip hop culture. Very honest, raw, and yet aesthetically
astute. One student
in particular had enormous drive. The semester's final, project had
very modest minimum
size requirements, 11x14 inches. She came in with an 8x10 foot
painting to
demonstrate her passion for graffiti art. She literally brought us a
"wall."

> One example that I can't lead too was one of my associates that was
> at the
> LA Art Institute.  Her fashion portfolio was ordinary items draped
> in a home
> situation or hanging out to dry with the LA city scape in the
> background.
>
> If I get permission I will post some links.  Sorry to not be more
> visual at
> this point.

I look forward to hearing and seeing more on this subject from you.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com
www.imagist.com