Subject: [Leica] Leica D lens 4/3rds question._Now sensor size.
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Tue Nov 27 07:51:09 2007

This is an interesting topic for me today as I did an experiment
yesterday comparing cropped images of a 1.6X crop camera to a FF
camera. The reason I did the experiment was to see if I was hurting
my bird photos by using a FF camera. The experiment was in response
to a comment that Doug made where in the absence of a DMR the best
results would probably come from the 1DS Mark II. Well I don't have a
1DS but I do have a 5D.

My experiment was to photograph an object using my 400mm lens on both
the 1.6X and FF bodies at ISO 800. The same object was centered in
the frame shooting from the exact same position. That would force me
to crop the FF shot to match the 1.6X shot. Since I normally end up
with a slight crop on all my photos anyway, my starting 1.6X photo
was cropped to about 80% of the original. I then cropped the FF image
to be exactly the same as the cropped 1.6X cropped image. I then
compared the two.  Guess what. The final two images looked identical.
This is noise level and clump size and image resolution or perceived
sharpness. It seems the improved image and noise performance of the
5D offset the less cropped image of the other camera. I did not
expect this at all. Since the 1DS MK II has a finer noise structure
then the 5D, it is logical to assume it would produce the best images
of the three cameras. Doug is right.

Oh. As an alternative, I also used a 1.4X lens extender ( Canon 1.4X
II) on the FF body and cropped to the same size as the other two
photos. The extender degraded the photo somewhat to where it was not
as good as the two shots without extender.

Thanks for stiking with me this far.
Len