Subject: [Leica] 16-16-15 lens comparison
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 6 08:35:13 2007

> Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:

>>> flare & distortion at least, full frame preferable.  I find it a bit odd
>>> >>
>>> that a discussion of 14-15-16mm lenses includes such diverse tools as
>>> those made by Cosina, Nikon, Canon and others but no R
>>>
>>> Doug Herr
>>> Birdman of Sacramento
>>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com
>>>

>> I can give you 7,975 reasons.
>>
>> That's a lot of reasons!
>>
>> Mark William Rabiner
>> markrabiner.com
>>

> No question of its price but this thread has included statements such as :
>
> "The 14's for the SLR's, the zooms that go down to 16 or 17 all have
> serious distortion. The best is probably the 12-24 f/4-5.6 Sigma."

This is news to me the Sigma f/4.5-5.6 being better than the Nikon f4 which
is becoming I thought a legendary piece of glass in its own time.

The Sigma is full frame and cost less and less compact.
But when you get your D3, I'm sure Kyle has his already you'd REALLY HAVE A
12-24 lens! Not a 18 - 35mm crop factor!

But will that be too wide? Will all these people who start shooting full
frame want a lens just like the 12-24 they are used to: an 18-35? I think
so. To use when they're not using their 12-24!
We want to get CLOSER!!!

So looking up my 14 2.8 last night I see that there is a new lens out people
are waiting to get in the mail this month they've ordered that fell through
my cracks.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/14-24mm.htm
The 14-24mm f/2.8 full frame!! Which will cost $1,800 (the price of a Linhof
lens cap) people are expecting to get theirs this month.
Its huge.
The front diameter is 98mm! But that's not the filter diameter because you
cant put a filter on it! Not that you can my 14mm 2.8 either there's a gel
holder on the back for both these lens. Or idiots will put UV filters on
them.
For me to have these focal lengths on my 1.5 crop cameras it would have to
be a  9.2-16mm lens!
But they do make a very cool 10.5mm lens which is on my short list. And
where my head is at now just what the doctor ordered.
These Yuban coffee can 2.8 zooms are very popular with just about everybody
but me. I have no intention of using one ever for 5 minutes.
I'll shoot 8x10 sheet film if I want gear that big. And have it be WORTH IT!

Make digital contact prints! That's the ticket!