Subject: [Leica] 16-16-15 lens comparison
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Nov 3 19:08:46 2007

Mark, WATE is a pretty well accepted acronym in Leica enthusiast circles, at
least the ones that I am part of ;-) It is less of a
monster to type than "LEICA TRI-ELMAR-M 16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH." lens. I tried
one briefly on my M7, albeit with no finder (and no
hood). It handled superbly in my brief play. With no hood and the extreme
angle at 16, I fell victim to some flare that I didn't
allow for. In hindsight unsurprising with a large, exposed front element. I
thought that I was well away from the angle of the
direct sun on the front. No doubt I was for a 28mm!

I note that this lens has had a price rise in Europe of about 30%, blamed on
production costs. Given the current USD vs Euro, I hate
to think what they might cost now in your neighbourhood.
With the Frankenfinder (LEICA UNIVERSAL WIDE-ANGLE VIEWFINDER M), I think it
is an extremely attractive option for scenics with an M
on a good tripod. However, Leica sources are hinting at new wides, most
likely not aspherical designs, or that is how I interpret
it.

So anyhoo, two new entries for your dictionary,
WATE and Frankenfinder

Cheers
Hoppy