Subject: [Leica] Hoppy does Barcelona - first report
From: crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall)
Date: Mon Oct 22 13:59:38 2007

Steve

I have to say my visit to Barcelona was greatly marred by numerous
teams of thieves. Yes I was naive and wandered around with my camera
kit in full view! I was the victim of a classic 3 man attack on the
tube; one gets in front of you, one behind and one waiting to pick up
the booty. The one in front stoops to pick up his watch which he has
dropped, the one behind picks your wallet etc as you bump into the
first, he passes the booty to the third. I am happy to report a friend
had warned me about this classic move. As soon as I saw the first
picking up his watch and holding me up I turned around and turned into
a VERY NOISY ENGLISHMAN shouting at the top of my voice at the man in
front and behind. I have to say the locals helped me and I retrieved
my wallet without loss. Later the same day my wife and I were stalked
by a another team in a park; I was able to stare them down before they
made a move. On our way home I was able to spot at least one other
team on the underground. Teams also target cars at traffic lights. It
rather put me off the city despire its many charms. If you go; go
prepared. I can note when I arrived at my hotel I was handed a note
warning me of the problem. I guess there must be a web site somewhere
that lists the various standard tricks used by the thieves. I am sure
there are similar stories for many cities but in my experience
Barcelona has been the worst - the best was Athens where I never felt
threatened even in the poorest areas. Here in Manchester I am careful;
guess I have to thank Barcelona for making me more street wise.

All in all, Barcelona is a wonderful city but you need to warn
visitors to be street wise from the moment they arrive. A few tips
what to look for may help. I can finally note almost all girls in
Barcelona wear their rucksacks back to front i.e. on their chest where
thay can see them.

Apologies to our friends in Barcelona but I am only reporting my
experience in your great city.

All the best Chris B