Subject: [Leica] IMG: From the Cigar Box, Doolittle Raid Memorial, 1965
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri Oct 19 19:19:03 2007

Jerry,

I have no info on the B-25 armament, but I suspect that you are correct.
They needed to get rid of every ounce that was not necessary, in order to
carry more fuel to try to make the inner regions of China that the Japanese
had not yet reached.  As it turned out, the carrier was spotted by a
Japanese fishing boat and the B-25s had to take off early to avoid flying
into a well-defended target.  This left them short on fuel and forced to
make the best of whatever landing spot they could reach. As I recall, a
number of crews were lost.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA