Subject: [Leica] IMG: LHSA Rochester
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Oct 17 17:02:53 2007

At 10:08 PM +0200 10/17/07, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>Actually, it looks like a thoroughly depressing place--were it not
>for the people in the pictures! Great to see Tom, Tuulikki et al.,
>even if only on the web.
>
>Nathan
>
>On 16-okt-2007, at 21:42, Henning Wulff wrote:
>
>>  Here are some quick looks at the LHSA meeting and events in Rochester:
>>
>>  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hwulff/rochester/?g2_page=1

For the most part, it was very depressing. Greater Rochester has a
population of about one million, but they weren't really in evidence.
The downtown was very empty. Not rundown, in general, but looking
like people had locked up a couple of weeks agon to go on a long
vacation. It looked to be ready to come in, turn on the lights and go
again. Except it won't.

The empty lots were clean, the whole city was quite clean. Only
activity was missing. We got there at midnight on Wednesday, and due
to the time difference weren't sleepy. We looked for a restaurant or
lounge, but the one in the hotel was closed. We walked about 4
blocks, past a police station. We saw no pedestrians, and only about
6 police cars on our way there and back. We didn't feel threatened,
but it was empty.

When Kodak started going downhill, it took a lot of other jobs with
it, and also, I'm sure, a lot of the spirit.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: LHSA Rochester)