Subject: [Leica] Armed America in England
From: pj at GoodPhotos.com (Michael Eric Berube)
Date: Mon Oct 15 17:30:31 2007

Kyle wrote:
> Everybody sees the problem: "People are shooting people in the streets.
> America has a high murder rate." But Americans find it very difficult to
> agree on a solution -- ...
> So what's the solution? If anything, while working on this project, I've
> realized the answer is very complex. And so is getting people to agree,
> even if we had "the answer" on a notecard for all to see.

Complicating the situation even more is that these United States take up
a VERY large plot of land and which wildly differs economically,
geographically and culturally... Yes, we are all 'American', but every
place is different.

What may be needed in the City of Brotherly Love, Houston, Chicago,
Boston, LA or NYC would be ludicrous (and actually counter productive)
to apply to the likes of Portland, Maine; Doris, California; Stanley,
Idaho; Cedar Grove, New Mexico; Dunbar, West Virginia or Hidalgo, Texas.

America does NOT have a high murder rate...Some American CITIES have
huge social unrest leading to a high violence rate.  Add to this that
only criminals (and a hand full of well meaning, but hopelessly
out-manned cops) have access to firearms in these places.

IF easy access to firearms was THE problem, my own state of Maine would
be the bloodiest place on the planet. We've the highest per capita
firearm ownership in the States (or very nearly, we trade the top place
with Vermont every other year or so) but we (and Vermont) have fewer
people than any given borough of NYC and much less of the serious social
ills that plague the inner cities where the populace is dependent on
Government to survive. Consequently, we've also very little violent
crime per captia. (armed or otherwise.)

Any solution that is Just and most effective, will have to be applied on
a local basis and will have to address the root causes of the problem in
the area that is to be affected. Not that it is any of The Gaurdian's
business anyhow...in spite of its holier than thou attitude and
draconian repression of civil liberties and intrusive surveillance of
her populace, the cities of the UK have their own problems with violence
in their streets.

I got your book for my 40th birthday last week Kyle. Well done.

Carpe lumen,
Michael Eric Berube

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Armed America in England)