Subject: [Leica] IMG: Harbors #143
From: pj at GoodPhotos.com (Michael Eric Berube)
Date: Sun Oct 21 09:03:11 2007

Ric Carter wrote:
> I suppose Southern culture is more "French" in its thinking, if that's
> what you mean;^)
Have you never been to northern New England mill town?
:)
Quebecois and the Acadian (those who weren't exported to the Gulf Coast
to become 'Cajuns') built these states during the Industrial Revolution
and many of our families never left.
Schooner Fare wrote a great tune about it...

> QUEBECOIS
> Tom Rowe (Schooner Fare)
> ? 1993
>
> My name is Levesque, I'm a son of Quebec,
> I'm a farmer and a Frenchman by birth.
> I am used to hard work and the sun on my neck
> And I raised what I could from the earth.
> But now I'm a weaver in some rich man's mill,
> Making blankets to earn a week's pay;
> And it's six days a week, dawn to dark, in this hell,
> But I'm goin' back home come someday.
>
> I'm Giselle Corriveau and I'm joining my beau
> In the spring when the log drive is through.
> He's a woodsman you know, and I do love him so,
> And for him there's not much I won't do.
> So I sweat all day long in this shoe factory
> To put a few dollars away
> To save toward a farm in our own country,
> 'Cause we're goin' back home come someday.
>
>       It is work, it is family, it's church, it is God,
>       (C'est le travail, c'est la famille, c'est l'Eglise, c'est Dieu)
>       It is why we came here to this land,
>       To make a new life and be what we are--
>       The proud and the strong Quebecois,
>       The proud and the strong Quebecois.
>
> I'm Gerard Fournier and I cut wood all day.
> In the spring I am taking a wife.
> We'll go back to the land, it's our forefathers' way,
> To nurture the earth is our life.
> And on Saturday nights we will dance and we'll sing,
> Raise a glass to our family and friends,
> And it's Sunday to church and the solace it brings,
> And on Monday we'll start once again.
>
> Oh, we are the folk who quietly toil,
> In this new land of hope we have found
> In the woods, on the sea, in the hard, rocky soil,
> In the factories that clutter the towns.
> And we raised up cathedrals to the glory of God,
> They were built of our blood and our tears.
> And we made it through hard times and hunger and flood,
> And we'll be here for thousands of years.

carpe lumen,
Michael Eric Berube
-J'adore cette terre ... C'est tourjours dans ma pensee et dans mon
esprit. C'est dans mon sang.

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] IMG: Harbors #143)