Subject: [Leica] Geiss Kontakt synch - IIIc & IIIa
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Oct 14 10:48:48 2007

At 09:50 AM 10/14/2007, Robert Lilley wrote:
 >Marc,
 >
 >You mention in "Just Joined" you were using a Geiss IIIC Kontakt Synch with
 >your IIIc.  I have one I tried on my IIIa but I think the IIIc dial cam is
 >too large for my IIIa.  I was able to get it to work somewhat by backing
 >out
 >the flash "kontakt" from the accessory shoe 1/16".  At that point the dial
 >cam would traverse the kontakt without getting hung up.  However, I was
 >only
 >able to get one third of a frame at 1/30 of a second.
 >
 >I have since purchased and am waiting for a Geiss IIIa Kontakt Synch to be
 >delivered.  I assume the dial cam is smaller (probably could have filed
 >down
 >the IIIc cam).  I have not been able to find any instructions on the web
 >about the Geiss.  Can you tell me what the "El", "V" and "P" on the cam
 >dial
 >mean and how they are used?  I assume you read the chosen speed through the
 >hole in the dial cam.  What speeds synch with a modern flash - I assume
 >1/30
 >or 1/40?

I have sent Robert a scan of the Kontakt instruction sheet off-list.

The Kontakt IIIa is for all models of the Leica
to the IIIa, and the IIIc is for the Leica
IIIc.  The shutter-speed dial is a different size
on the "long wheelbase" LTM cameras.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!