Subject: [Leica] Geiss Kontakt synch - IIIc & IIIa
From: 54moggie at embarqmail.com (Robert Lilley)
Date: Sun Oct 14 06:50:11 2007

Marc,

You mention in "Just Joined" you were using a Geiss IIIC Kontakt Synch with
your IIIc.  I have one I tried on my IIIa but I think the IIIc dial cam is
too large for my IIIa.  I was able to get it to work somewhat by backing out
the flash "kontakt" from the accessory shoe 1/16".  At that point the dial
cam would traverse the kontakt without getting hung up.  However, I was only
able to get one third of a frame at 1/30 of a second.

I have since purchased and am waiting for a Geiss IIIa Kontakt Synch to be
delivered.  I assume the dial cam is smaller (probably could have filed down
the IIIc cam).  I have not been able to find any instructions on the web
about the Geiss.  Can you tell me what the "El", "V" and "P" on the cam dial
mean and how they are used?  I assume you read the chosen speed through the
hole in the dial cam.  What speeds synch with a modern flash - I assume 1/30
or 1/40?

Thanks,

Rob Lilley