Subject: [Leica] OT Never judge a cover by its book huh?
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon Oct 8 17:27:09 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Jeffery Smith wrote:

> Actually, the Fournier/Szell Dvorak is the only version of it that I
> can stand. I'm glad that it's still available.

George Szell, a great conductor, but one always in tight control and
not overdoing the emotion...let the music speak for itself...

true of the three pieces mentionned here with Szell's name
attached... Mahler S 4,  Sibelius S 2, and the Dvorak Cello Concerto,
all wonderful and brilliantly controlled and noble !!  performances...

I heard Szell conduct live,  when I lived in Cleveland...

my 2 cents,

Steve