Subject: [Leica] re: portrait of elizabeth (secrets revealed)
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Sun Sep 30 22:17:48 2007

I wasn't sure what all the hoopla is about. Of course it's a great
picture (as usual per you standard) and you have a way of stirring up
discussions, but I do know full well how people can prejudice a photo
or comment just based on their own bias and subject line of the post. *Shrug*

At 09:38 PM 9/30/2007, Kyle Cassidy wrote:
>But Steve makes an extremely important point. If I'd posted this
>image with the subject line "Photo of my friend Elizabeth" -- my
>guess is that a few people would have clicked on it, but not nearly
>as many as actually did because they suspected they were to see
>something on the very edges of propriety. My own somewhat
>vacillating definition of "work safe" is "no more skin than you can
>see on prime time U.S. television commercials" -- so there was
>obviously nothing that I thought wasn't work safe about this photo
>-- you can see this much skin in church on Sunday in most places in
>America, and were there a teenager standing on a street corner
>holding a scarf in her mouth like that not even Jerry Fallwell would
>have pulled his car over to tell her to stop making a scandal. So,
>as Steve correctly points out, I am guilty of attempting to mislead
>people into thinking the photo is naughtier than _I_ think it is.
>But if I'm doing that because i'm trying to be ironic or truculent,
>I can't honestly say, it's just what comes out of my mouth.

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)